|Special limited-time offer from VSiN: Get our all-access package — Point Spread Weekly, 24-7 video, special guides — for just $99 from now through the Super Bowl. Details here.
NFL Week 9 . . .
Jeff Fogle previews one of today’s marquee games as the Saints host the Rams.
A six-game winning streak has launched the Saints into the championship discussion. But how much respect do the Saints deserve?
Jeff points out some signs of weakness.
Some of you like to see what the Westgate SuperContest competitors have chosen as their contest picks, so here we go.
The SuperContest Top 5 Most-Selected Teams (5-0 last week, 21-19 on season) are MIN -4.5 vs. DET, PIT +3 at BAL, TEN +6.5 at DAL, KC -8 at CLE, HOU +1 at DEN.
The SuperContestGold Top 5 (also 5-0, 22-14-4 overall) are TEN, PIT, LAC +2 at SEA, MIN, LAR +1.5 at NO.
You can see the full consensus lists and every pick from every contestant here at our SuperContest page.
The first half of Brent’s “turmoil parlay” came through Saturday as Michigan State routed the controversy-filled Maryland program. Let’s see how he does today.
If you are a VSiN subscriber, don’t forget to look for Matt Youmans’ NFL forecast on the home page.
Have you seen our highlights show Inside The Numbers? It is a collection of the best segments handicapping Week 9 games. You can watch it here.
Today’s coverage will kick off at 10 a.m. ET with Betting Across America, hosted by Michael Lombardi and Jonathan Von Tobel. We’re live from our new studio overlooking the sports book at the Ocean Resort Casino. Check out Saturday’s show if you haven’t seen it yet.
Reminder: You can follow the line movements across 11 Las Vegas books on this page.
College Football Week 10: Statement Saturday
The statements had exclamation points as Alabama and Georgia both won big to set up their SEC championship matchup Dec. 13.
Dave Tuley’s View From Vegas on the action:
- Alabama routed LSU 29-0 in anticlimactic No. 1 vs. No. 3 matchup on CFB Statement Saturday: The Crimson Tide also covered as a 14-point road favorite;
- No. 2 Clemson also covered easily as a 39.5-point home favorite in 77-16 blowout of Louisville.
- No. 4 Notre Dame pushed as 10-point road favorite in 31-21 win at Northwestern.
- No. 5 Michigan covered as 12.5-point home fave in 42-7 win vs. Penn St.
- No. 6 Georgia covered as 9.5-point road favorite in 34-17 victory at No. 9 Kentucky
- No. 7 Oklahoma failed to cover as 14-point fave in 51-46 win at Texas Tech.
- No. 8 Washington St.did not cover as 7.5-point fave in 19-13 victory over Cal.
- No. 10 Ohio St. didn’t cover as 18-point home fave in 36-31 win over Nebraska.
- The game of the day was arguably No. 13 West Virginia’s 42-41 win over No. 17 Texas as the Mountaineers won on Will Grier’s 2-point conversion in a game that closed pick ’em.
Duffel Bag Bettor goes 1-3
According to Patrick Everson of Covers: He hits a $50K two-teamer of Toledo -19.5 & Clemson -39, but lost a $20K three-teamer of Toledo -19.5 & Clemson -39 & Minnesota -9.5 as the Gophers got pounded at Illinois. He also lost a $100K two-teamer of Boston College -2 (won by 10 over B.C.) & San Diego State -10 (beat New Mexico by only 8). And he had a low-6-figure straight bet on San Diego State at -10.
Breeders’ Cup: Accelerate wins Classic
Ron Flatter reports from Louisville:
Bettors chasing a big price with horizontal bets built to a Breeders’ Cup Classic long shot were disappointed the same way that connections for Accelerate were excited.
With late bets making him the favorite, Accelerate (7-2) took the lead turning four-wide for home and ran on to win by one length in the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic on a crisp, sunny Saturday afternoon at Churchill Downs.
Full story on Day 2 of the Breeders’ Cup here.
The NASCAR playoff race hits Texas, and Jeff Cogliandro handicaps the race and has one matchup play for VSiN subscribers.