|March Madness: What you should know . . .
- Win $10,000 in VSiN’s Beat The Spread Challenge. Find out how.
- Pre-order our College Basketball Tournament Betting Guide, more than 90 pages of team profiles, tournament trends and staff predictions. It’s $14.99 and will be published Tuesday, March 19. Buy here.
- Coming to Las Vegas next week? Join us for Betting & Buds with Brent at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 20 at the South Point Hotel. It’s free and there are $1 Budweiser products for just $1. Details here.
NFL news . . .
So what was the reaction from sportsbook operators to the news of the Odell Beckham trade from the Giants to the Browns?
Reported man-about-Vegas Patrick Everson of Covers:
- “We had the Browns 25/1 (to win the Super Bowl), now 15/1. We lose pretty good with them.” the South Point’s Chris Andrews said.
- Westgate Superbook manager John Murray moved the Browns from 25/1 to 14/1. The Giants go from 40/1 to 80/1.
- William Hill’s Nick Bogdanovich said the Browns moved from 25/1 to 18/1. "We’re already a decent loser with them. The Browns always draw money in the futures book." Giants moved from 40/1 to 60/1.
In more NFL news early today: Le’Veon Bell is headed to the Jets. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Bell’s four-year deal with the Jets has a max value of $61 million and includes $35 million guaranteed. (No early changes on Jets’ Super Bowl futures.)
Tune in for more reaction today, starting with Mitch & Pauly on Follow The Money at 7 a.m. ET.
Dave Tuley’s ATS report . . .
Saint Mary’s beat No. 1 Gonzaga 60-47 to win West Coast tourney & conference’s automatic NCAA berth: Gaels (the last of my #CBB picks from last week’s Point Spread Weekly) closed as 15-point underdogs & +1000 on money line (stayed way Under 139.5). In other CBB conference title games, Northeastern (-2.5) won/covered over Hofstra in Colonial, but underdogs won the rest with Northern Kentucky (+1) over Wright St. in Horizon, ND St. (+3.5) over Omaha in Summit, Fairleigh Dickinson (+4.5) over St. Francis in Northeast.
NHL favorites/underdogs split 4-4 with upsets by Blue Jackets (-105) over Bruins, Sharks (+110) over Jets, Coyotes (+190) over Blues, Ducks (+135) over Predators; Over/Unders also 4-4; 1st Period Over/Unders also 4-4. #FollowtheMoney6 went 3-1 with Blue Jackets, Sharks & Devils Over (though many have backed off on CLB & NJ) & Penguins Under; Stars, top 1P Under team (and keying my parlays tonight) came through scoreless 1P.
FYI: Chicago Blackhawks’ game at Toronto on today opened with an Over/Under of 7 (-115) at most Vegas sports books; William Hill also went higher with a 1st Period Over at 2 (-110) instead of 1.5.
NBA favorites won all 7 games & went 6-1 ATS; 76ers (-15) were only faves that failed to cover in 106-99 win over Cavaliers; Pacers (-11), Bucks (-10.5), Lakers (-2), Spurs (-3.5), Blazers (-4) & Nuggets (-9.5) all covered; Unders 4-3.
This worked out wall for Gill’s Tankapalooza 4-team ML Parlay: Pacers -900/76ers -1200/Bucks -480/Nuggets -600 NBA
Jeff Fogle on college hoops . . .
Jeff breaks down 5 conference tourneys that start today, including the Big East.
Jeff Fogle’s AAF Week 5 recap . . .
Week 5 in the AAF started to look like real football, writes Jeff. Many teams opened up their attacks, some because of improved quarterback situations and others because they fell behind early and had to play catch up. After only 65 “drive points” were scored in Week 4, a whopping 126 were scored in Week 5. Full story and stats here.
Seen & Heard on VSiN . . .
"I’d have never guessed in a million years it would have gotten this big." Nick Bogdanovich, director of trading at William HIll, says of in-play wagering on Follow The Money with Mitch & Pauly.
Even after a couple bad losses, the Westgate’s Jeff Sherman does not think anyone can beat the Warriors in a seven-game series.
On A Numbers Game, Caesars senior oddsmaker Matt Lindeman joins Gill to talk about Caesars unique new prop for the NCAA conference tournaments and the value of rolling over your bets in the Big Dance vs. futures bets.
Also on A Numbers Game, Joe Peta takes a deep dive into golf analytics to explain why it’s nearly impossible to project a winner at this weekend’s Players Championship.
Finally . . .
Nick Bogdanovich shares his best advice for folks coming to town to bet the NCAA Tournament. "Moderation" makes the list.