Wild Card Weekend Betting Odds & Early Thoughts
It took until the end of overtime between the Chargers and Raiders, but the playoff matchups are set for the Wild Card Weekend. We’ve got some rematches, some fascinating matchups and even Monday Night Football in the postseason.
Saturday Jan. 15
Raiders vs. Bengals (-6.5, 49) 4:30 p.m. ET – The Raiders outlasted the Chargers, despite blowing a 15-point fourth-quarter lead in the final game of the regular season. The Bengals rested just about everybody in a loss to the Browns. Cincinnati wound up the No. 4 seed and the Raiders moved all the way to No. 5 with the win. You’ve got an indoor team heading west across three time zones to play in what looks like a chilly Cincinnati on Sunday. Keep a close eye on this line.
Patriots at Bills (-4.5, 43.5) 8:15 p.m. ET – This is a rematch between division rivals, as the two teams split during the regular season. New England won outright as a 3-point underdog on a horrendous weather day in Buffalo and the Bills thoroughly whipped New England in the revenge game as a 1-point pup. Now the two teams meet in the playoffs. Early lines at some books showed Buffalo -4, as the shine came off the Patriots late in the season, but a lot of bettors will give Bill Belichick the benefit of the doubt. We’ll see where this line goes, but my guess is that you’ll have sharp groups on both sides and it may not move much.
Sunday Jan. 16
Eagles at Bucs (-9, 49) 1 p.m. ET – These two teams played earlier this year in Philadelphia and the Bucs were a touchdown favorite. The game ended 28-22 Tampa Bay, but the Bucs led 28-7 and outgained the Eagles 399-213. At the time, the loss dropped the Eagles to 2-4, so they are a better team now, but still a massive underdog. The Bucs opened -7 at DraftKings Sportsbook and now sit higher than that, and the upgraded line is probably closer to where it should be.
49ers at Cowboys (-3, 49.5) 4:30 p.m. ET – This is probably the most interesting game to me with two contrasting styles. The Cowboys are very balanced, but lean towards the passing game, while the 49ers rely heavy on the run. San Francisco gained a lot of respect for coming back against the Rams, but I wonder if this line is a tad cheap. Jimmy Garoppolo is still banged up and the Cowboys have a ton of weapons on offense, which is something the 49ers haven’t seen a lot. Dallas is susceptible through the air, but maybe not as much on the ground.
Steelers at Chiefs (-12.5, 47) 8:15 p.m. ET – The Steelers do not have the profile of a playoff team, with a negative yards per play differential and a very ugly point differential, so we get a huge line here. These two teams played recently and Kansas City was a double-digit favorite in the midst of a COVID outbreak and won 36-10. It’s really hard to see this game going differently, though some early money has hit Pittsburgh.
Monday Jan. 17
Cardinals at Rams (-4.5, 50.5) 8:15 p.m. ET – Another week of disappointment for the Cardinals, who stepped up against the Cowboys, but then struggled mightily against a Seahawks team playing out the string. The Rams lost, but at least lost to a quality opponent. We have two data points in the 4/5 matchup in the NFC and the Cardinals won as a 4-point dog in LA and the Rams won as a 3-point dog in Arizona. This line looks a tad rich, but speaks to how the Cardinals have looked down the stretch and it is hard to trust them.
We’ll have all kinds of Wild Card Weekend coverage, so keep it tuned right here at VSiN.
Everything You Need to Know for Alabama vs. Georgia
- VSiN Staff: Best bets from Adam Burke, Tim Murray, Steve Makinen and Bruce Marshall for the National Championship Game between Alabama and Georgia. READ MORE
- Chris Andrews: Free for all readers, South Point Sportsbook Director Chris Andrews takes us inside the betting action for the National Championship Game. KEEP READING
- Adam Kramer: Adam Kramer’s bettor’s guide to the National Championship is a must-read prior to tonight’s game. READ MORE
- Josh Appelbaum: A sharp money report for tonight’s game between Alabama and Georgia. KEEP READING
- 7 a.m. ET Follow the Money with Mitch Moss & Pauly Howard
- 10 a.m. A Numbers Game with Gill Alexander
- Noon The Lombardi Line with Patrick Meagher & Michael Lombardi
- 2 p.m. Odds On with Mike Palm & Amal Shah
- 3 p.m. Betting Across America with Mike Pritchard & Josh Appelbaum
- 4 p.m. The Edge with Jonathan Von Tobel & Matt Youmans
- 5 p.m. My Guys in the Desert with Stormy Buonantony
- 6 p.m. Rush Hour with Danny Burke
- 7 p.m. Prime Time Action with Gill Alexander & Matt Brown
- 10 p.m. The Night Cap with Tim Murray & Shaun King
- 1 a.m. The Lookahead with Greg Peterson
Listen live on VSiN.com, in the VSiN App for Android or iOS, on the iHeart Radio App, via our broadcast partners, or On-Demand.
Get ready for college title game with BetMGM
BetMGM welcomes you with a special offer on the College Football National Championship. Simply place a $10 moneyline wager on the game; if either team scores a touchdown, you’ll win $200 in Free Bets, regardless of your bet’s outcome. Just use bonus code VSiN200 when you make your first bet. Enjoy the college championship like never before and earn M life Rewards that you can redeem at any MGM Resort.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER AVAILABLE IN:
Visit BetMGM.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ years of age or older to wager. AZ, CO, DC, IA, IN, MI, MS, NJ, NV, PA, TN, VA, WV or WY only. New Customer Offer. All promotions are subject to qualification and eligibility requirements. Rewards issued as non-withdrawable free bets or site credit. Free bets expire in 7 days from issuance. Excludes Michigan Disassociated Persons. Please Gamble Responsibly. Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-NEXT-STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO, DC, NV, WY, VA), 1-800-270-7117 for confidential help (MI), 1-800-GAMBLER (IN, NJ, PA & WV), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), Call or Text the Tennessee REDLINE: 800-889-9789 (TN), or Call 1-888-777-9696 (MS). Sports betting is void where prohibited. Promotional offers not available in Mississippi or Nevada.
Josh Appelbaum & Dave Tuley
Josh Appelbaum:As linked above, Josh’s Monday article takes a look at sharp action in the National Championship Game between Alabama and Georgia. READ MORE
Also, listen to Josh’s latest Market Insights podcast. LISTEN HERE
Dave Tuley: "Tuley’s Takes" for Monday features a recap of what took place on Sunday and a best bet for today.READ MORE
Dave also covered the final day of the Circa Survivor contest. READ MORE
Attention, New Yorkers: BetRivers is ready for your action
Legal sports betting in New York is now live, and you can make your first bets with BetRivers Sportsbook. Bet on your first moneyline, spread, or same-game parlay for the final week of the football season with the trusted team at BetRivers. Go to BetRivers.com to sign up and be there when BetRivers takes its first bets in the Empire State.
Must be 21. Playable in NY only. Gambling Problem? Call 1-877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369)
Go Deeper on Your Local Teams
Want more sports betting analysis on your hometown teams?
Our roster of sports betting analysts bring you updates on local news surrounding your favorite teams the new CityCast podcast network, brought to you by BetRivers, your hometown sportsbook,
Big Game-Big Dance $69 Special Offer
We’re excited about the Big Game-Big Dance $69 special offer, but even more excited at how popular it has been thus far. Lots of readers and listeners have taken advantage of this outstanding deal already.
If you haven’t, we’ve got another offer for you. How about a free 7-day trial to see what being an All-Access Subscriber is all about? You can try before you buy. This is a good week to do that, as we just released a very robust edition of Point Spread Weekly and have wall-to-wall coverage of NFL Week 18.
Once you see what we’re all about, here’s what you’ll get with the Big Game-Big Dance Special:
- Daily best bets email
- Access to all premium content (including weekly NFL/CFB best bets, Jonathan Von Tobel’s NBA best bets and Andy MacNeil’s NHL best bets)
- Live videostream of VSiN programming
- Use of all VSiN Pro Tools and betting resources
- Super Bowl Betting Guide and premium Big Game content
- March Madness Betting Guide
- MLB Betting Guide
Sign up for your free trial now! SUBSCRIBE
Top Stories on VSiN.com
Betting splits updated multiple times per day for NBA, NHL, CBB, CFB, and NFL
MONDAY COLLEGE BASKETBALL BETTING GUIDE
- Free for all readers, Greg Peterson’s spotlight game and best bet features the AAC battle between Oregon and Oregon State. (10 p.m. ET) READ MORE
- Subscribers can see Peterson’s spread and total lines for every game on the board. GO HERE
- Listen for best bets and expert insights on every CBB game on Peterson’s Coast to Coast Hoops podcast. LISTEN HERE
- Andy MacNeil’s daily NHL best bets and market report for today’s games is posted mid-to-late morning (check back throughout the day for updates). GO HERE
- Jonathan Von Tobel’s daily NBA best bets and market report for today’s games is also posted mid-to-late morning. GO HERE
- Our new NBA Player Prop Tracker is a great betting resource free for all users. GO HERE
Who’s In and Who’s Out in the NBA?
We have two new betting resources for our readers that bet on the NBA. Check back throughout the day to see updates on these two pages.
COVID Tracker: Which NBA players are out due to COVID? GO HERE
Sitting Out: Which NBA players are sitting out for non-COVID reasons? GO HERE
VSiN betting resources
- VSIN BEST BETS PODCAST:Never miss a show. Get one-hour segments of every show in podcast format, posted shortly after they finish. LISTEN HERE.
- VIDEO: Replays are posted HERE.
- LIVE ODDS: Comparisons from legal states HERE.
- TOOLS: Parlay calculator posted HERE.
- BETTING SHEETS: From South Point and Circa posted HERE
New to betting on sports? Need a refresher now that the football season is here? We have lots of great "How To" articles for those eager to learn how to bet like the pros. GO HERE